Monday 1 December 2014

Arita 2014 No10

I drafted this post just before I left Japan in May when part one of my Asialink residency in Arita was coming to an end...but I was so busy that I didn't get around to posting it. Looking over it again brought back some beautiful memories so I thought...better late than never! 

My friends and I went to Onta recently. Onta is a beautiful little traditional potters village in Oita Prefecture in Kyushu, and the people who live there are very impressive. They make clay and pots and wood fire them and maintain the distinct Onta style throughout the whole village. It felt like they were actually making pots "for" their village. On the bottom of the pots it only says "Onta" - no other personal maker's mark. Beautiful. I became a fan of this place.   








My Asialink Arts Residency Project is supported by Arts Queensland.

No comments: